Hi. Thanks for stopping by, but this blog is now not in use, please go to www.mrtoodle.com to see my latest artwork and my full portfolio. Thanks for your time.

Thursday, 30 July 2009

Wild Hyena Thing


My submission to the
big game game this time around doubles up as a tribute to the brilliant Maurice Sendak, and his Where The Wild Things Are. I had a lot of fun drawing in Maurice's style (or there abouts), and what you see comes straight from my sketchbook. Only a little Photoshop tweaking went on; mainly the de-saturation of the Moleskine's yellow tint in the background and the addition of a few bits of colour on relevant parts of his anatomy.

I've been spending sometime recently gathering together my favourite artists for inspiration, and I think Mr Sendack is definitely up there as a contender for Number One. For more tributes to the big Mr S. go to Terrible Yellow Eyes, a collection of superb artwork inspired by the much loved book.

A sample of the preliminary ideas and sketches

4 comments:

  1. This is a total delight Phil... excellent in every respect! One of your best works to date without a shadow of doubt. The concept is faultless, the execution is sublime. You have hit the Senda nail square on the head and it has gone right through the wood first time! Wonderful expression, humorous and characterfull. The pose is both dynamic and playful. The colouring is a perfect example of balance and restaint. Can't you tell...I like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only echo what the learned gentleman above has said. It's wonderful - more like this please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous character - love him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great little wild thing you got there! I just saw an interview with Maurice Sendak about the movie... and he said something along the lines of... kids want to be scared a little... and ain't it just the truth?!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete