
Here's how I interpreted some of the characters in the Julia Donaldson story Freddie and the Fairy, which was the text for the Waterstones' Picture This illustration competition.
I'm not particularly happy with how they turned out, although I feel a bit more statisfied with the animals than I am with the people. I felt I was forcing myself into a style that didn't suit me and I chose not to enter the competition; but I've learned a lot from the experience.
I'm not particularly happy with how they turned out, although I feel a bit more statisfied with the animals than I am with the people. I felt I was forcing myself into a style that didn't suit me and I chose not to enter the competition; but I've learned a lot from the experience.
Don't be disheartened. I think that you can impose your style on a subject and whether it is right or not is merely opinion.
ReplyDeleteI think your characters have definite appeal and the great big purple gorilla is brilliant!
Boy I know it's hard to try and force a style. Don't sweat it and try and force things. We are all friends here, so sit back, play about and find your Phil Illustration space :) That said you really have captured something with the Bessie- Belle fairy design in my opinion and I LOVE the expression the cat is giving the pink Gorilla... THERE IS A CHARACTER RELATIONSHIP / STORY RIGHT THERE SIR!
ReplyDelete